If you have read my previous Blogs you have noticed that I to like remind the men (or call men out) as the spiritual heads of thier homes. I like to quote Joshua 24:14,15
“Now fear the LORD and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the LORD. But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD.”
This verse makes it simple – you can serve either the Lord or yourself. Choose today how you will lead your family.
Normally I don’t promote movies, but today I am. Men, book a babysitter or put the kids to bed, make some popcorn, grab a bottle of wine and rent the movie Courageous. Courageous. I am not going to give away the plot of the movie, but it is definitely a good watch, and you might even need tissue or two…but I didn’t shed a single tear…ahem…I digress 🙂
In the movie the men resolve to be the spiritual heads of their homes and the resolutions in the movie are based on scriptural priorities for men as set forth in God’s Word. Each statement describes a commitment we should resolve to live by as the head of our homes.
The following is what the resolutions are:
I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
- I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
- I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
- I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
- I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
- I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
- I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
- I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
- I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
- I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
- I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
- I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.
So would you sign this resolution? I think most of us did when we said our wedding vows – this just spells it out plain and simple and takes it a step further to include ourselves and our kids.
I will be back tomorrow with one of my regular blogs. Have a blessed rest of your Sunday.