Family Worship: Advent Day 5
Advent: Day 5
Jesus came to make things right between us and God. In Matthew, Jesus was teaching His disciples the things they needed to know to be good followers. He showed them how to live a godly life. Jesus also taught his disciples how to pray. Praying is talking to God.
Q. Do you know what we call this prayer that Jesus taught us?
This is called the Lord’s Prayer. Jesus prayed this prayer to teach His disciples the things they should pray about. His prayer is also an example of the order in which we should pray about things. Jesus began His prayer by praising God, then He prayed for other things. A way to pray is to remember the word ACTS.
Q. A is for adoration. Do you know what that means?
Adoration means to love God by praising him.
Q. C is for confession. Do you know what that means?
Confession means to tell God that you are sorry for the bad things you have done.
T is for Thank you! We thank God for the good things in our lives.
S is for supplication. This big word means to ask God for things for you and for others.
Just because Jesus prayed this prayer, it doesn’t mean that it is the only prayer we should pray. When we pray, God wants us to talk to Him personally and not just repeat the same words everytime without thinking about what we’re saying.
Q. When you talk to your friends do just say the same thing over and over or do you talk about different things?
When you talk with your friends, you get to know each other better, and your relationship grows stronger . It would funny if you just said the same thing all time to your friend, wouldn’t it? Even though God wants us to praise him, confess our sins and tahnk him in all our prayers, he still wants to hear the real words that come from your heart.
Jesus died so that we can have a right relationship with God again. This Christmas season we should thank God for loving us so much that he would want us to come before him again. We should thank God that Jesus showed us how to pray.
Sing: Hymn 63 (I could only find the tune put to a different hymn..)
Prayer: Today ask each person them for suggestions that show adoration to God.
Ideas to add to your prayer:
- Praise God for goodness; praise him for His love, and mercy and for teaching us to pray.
- Confess that we are sinful people, and that our own fruit is not good,
- Thank God for this love, grace and the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
- Thank God that he teaches us how to pray.
- Thank God for sending the Holy Spirit to work faith in us, and to grow the fruit of Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
- Ask God help us live a life of thankfulness bearing true fruit in our lives and ask him to help each of us pray.
- Ask God to strengthen our faith and help us show love to our neighbour at Christmas time.
- When closing the prayer tonight instead of the usual “…in Jesus name, amen.” Tonight say, …”in the name of Jesus, who taught us to pray,
‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us today our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one. Amen