Advent: Salt and Light
Scripture Reading: Matthew 5:13-16
The disciples sat listening to Jesus as He taught them things they had never heard before.
Jesus told us that we are like salt. Isn’t that funny?
Q. What did Jesus mean? How can we keep from losing our saltiness?
What Jesus means is that if we live like people who don’t love God, we will be like salt that has lost its flavor and has become worthless. So we should always read our bibles and pray and tell others about Jesus.
Jesus also tells we are the light of the world! That is funny because we read in the Bible that Jesus is the light of world.
Q. How can we both be the light of world?
If we believe that Jesus paid for our sins, then His Holy Spirit lives in us and we shine with the light of Jesus in us.
Q. How do we shine before others?
Other People will see our good deeds and the fruit of the spirit in us. This is how we shine like a light. Don’t hide your light, but let it shine all around so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father for the good deeds you do.”
Q. Do you know how to become salt and light?
It is only by obeying God that you become salt and light. As you allow God to use you, you become the salt of the earth. That doesn’t mean you will suddenly taste salty, That would be silly! You know how salty salt is right? IT changes the taste of food – even just a little bit will change the food. So when you become salt you will make as much difference to the lives of those around you as a tiny bit of salt makes to plain tasting food. And you will become light, just like a little candle can light up a whole room, so God’s light shining in you will light up the whole world.
Q. How do you know if you are salty and full of God’s light?
Some answers could be: Praying for your friend’s family and even those who you don’t like. Telling others about Jesus, Inviting others to church, encouraging those who are sad, giving to the needy, helping people who need help…etc.
Sing: Psalm 67 Book OF Praise (sorry the video is in Korean – I could not find an english one! I also added a video of 67 in a modern tune)
Ideas to add to your prayer:
- Praise God for goodness; praise him for His love, and mercy and for giving us the Holy Spirit.
- Confess that we are sinful people, sometimes we gossip and slander, confess that we are not always the salt and light we are called to be,
- Thank God for the forgiveness of sins through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
- Thank God for sending the Holy Spirit to work faith in us and cause us to be salt, and cause us to shine with his light, and to grow the fruit of Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
- Ask God help us to be alike a light on the hill, shining before all men;
- Ask God to strengthen our faith and help us show salt and ligth to our neighbour not only at Christmas time but all the time