A Lonely Christian.

1. Polly ten Brinke says:

I think that even if you have been a member for a long time – you can feel lost and alone – especially when you do not have any of your children/ grandchildren living nearby. I do think that as a community we have to start thinking of each other more as “brothers and sisters” – because through Christ that is who we are. I had to raise my children – so that eventually they became my brother/sister in the LORD. Yes, a lot can be done on an individual basis – such as visiting the elderly, sick and lonely – but maybe we should learn to keep on day/evening a week just for that purpose! I tried to do that while my children are at catechism – you are out that evening so instead of going home – visit that elderly person – you will be rewarded!!

2. Anne says:

And let us all be careful not to say we have so much family and friends that we don’t have time for inviting those others.

3. adopted3 says:

Good idea to think about what we can do instead of brooding over what others aren’t doing. Love that scripture in 1 Peter 4.
    PJ

4. Mitigate says:

Indeed this is true. I have found that in my 6 years in my CanRC. I still wish I had reached in a lot more, invited more families for lunch or coffee – Sundays are best for that I found – but nevertheless, waiting for the wider community to bring you in isn’t fulfilling your Christian duty – one of which is selflessness and bearing each others’ burdens. I would also second what Anne says above – I didn’t have any family in my church, but made friends along the way, and I did sometimes feel people were more concentrated on their established relationships rather than the ones they could still make: inclusivity vs. exclusivity – the perennial CanRef social problem. Let’s continue to look out for those on the outside of social circles, not just to say that we do invite them over a couple of times a year, but essentially the communion of saints means that we befriend each other. Some level of relationship, even on a social level is necessary in my opinion. That can be painful sometimes but our Lord’s cross wasn’t easy was it? And it is so easy to pre-judge someone we don’t know by appearances or first impressions. We are called to be non-judgmental also in loving each other I think.
    Thanks for another good ‘food for thought’ article, One Christian Dad.

5. Arnold says:

great piece. loved it.

6. laurahahe says:

You make a lot of good points but I fear that an article putting the onus on the newcomer to reach out can be misconstrued to justify a lack of hospitality by church goers. The article is good but would benefit from a paragraph reminding us of the command to be hospitable and to welcome newcomers.

• Hi Laura,
      Thanks for your comment. I do agree with you and have written on that topic of hospitality in the past. It is definitely the churches responsibility to welcome newcomers. With this post however, I was only offering advice to a specific question I was asked. I am not sure that telling this individual, who is feeling neglected already, that the church should be reaching out to them would be helpful in this instance. Thanks for reading and for engaging, now I have an idea for a future post as well!

Blessings.