Do You Use “OMG?”

1. AGREED! Whatever we may tell ourselves OMG means to most and especially the world Oh my G-d. We are fooling ourselves to say otherwise. God blessed us with a varied and extensive vocabulary to use to describe things. OMG, OMGosh, F-ck, freaking, Oh my W–d…..are simply not necessary. Further most are blasphemous and quite disgusting. Wonderful survey. Thanks so much!

2. peter@tricontruss.ca says:

Totally agreed, Ryan. Thanks for posting.Peter

3. It’s entirely appropriate that Christians who have grown deep in their fear of God should be zealous for his name. It’s interesting that even unbelievers are sensitive to this, and know that a Christian who’s flippant about the name of the Most High is a hypocrite. Interesting poll!

4. Coosje Helder says:

I’ve been thinking about this for a while. Does taking God’s name in vain mean only how you use his actual name? Or could it also be carrying his name as a Christian but dishonoring him in how you live before him? As in, when a woman marries a man she takes his name. (Well, okay, nowadays some choose to not do so.) You don’t need to answer this point if you don’t want to right now but I wouldn’t mind hearing some thoughts on that at some point.

5. Ryan. Thanks for the blog. I am astounded to read about all those that use that type of language,especially Christian folks. The shame of it all is that due to the crass use of omg in this day and age we as Christian can not use/ do not use it in its proper time or situation. For that I am sad.

Keep up the great post.

6. Dutchie says:

Great article Ryan, I also brought up once that I feel O My “gosh” is just a substitution for “God” in a bible study and only one person other than myself in a group of at least 25 thought it was wrong. I think the your survey on the views of the unbeliever is a great tool for me to use should it come up again. Very interesting!

7. Albert Rolleman says:

I agree with you that we are not to use these terms because of unbelievers view them. We are putting a stumbling block before them.

Sent from my iPhone

8. James says:

You hit the nail on the head, Ryan! Glad to hear this is an issue for more people (I also don’t drink that brand of beer). I also think a good argument could be made for not using “oh my goodness”, because it is seen as a milder form of OMG with the same meaning, or by using Luke 19:18 and Romans 3:12. Phrases like “God bless you” also cannot be used flippantly.

• Jackie says:

James, you really do have a point there about so many Christians who say “God bless you” or the German “Gesundheit” (which means the same, after someone sneezes…which comes from the superstition to keep evil spirits away. Similar to “touch wood” or “throwing salt over your shoulder” for luck. Unfortunately, for me, it is such a habit, it is soo hard to break. But I, with the Lord’s help, am working on it.

9. Jessica says:

To your ast question in your blog – Is there a better/more Christian way to express delight, excitement, disgust, irritation etc? – I would really beinterested to hear your answer. Personally I struggle with finding way to express especially deep feelings of annoyance, irritation, and just moments of great anger without using certain ugly words. I use to say those words all the time and after I became a Christian I went cold turkey. But recently it began to weigh on me that I felt I was holding in my feelings so much because I was unable to express the exact magnitude of my feelings. Perhaps there is something greater going on here, but it is a true battle for me. I would live to hear your thoughts about this.

10. Andy Oldham says:

I will begin watching my mouth. I never realized what was going on here. Thanks for this valuable lesson!!!

11. YES! Absolutey agreed!
    ~Jo

12. Cheryl says:

Thank you! Our family calls it Chicken Swear. Not allowed.