Usher: The 4th Office

1. Douglas Kok says:

Very tongue in cheek there. While I agree with you there is a general feeling I get that people are scared of slippery slopes so therefore they won’t climb down onto them to even test them out.

2. Ushering has absolutely nothing to do with church governance, leadership, or teaching. Serving on a committee like the evangelism committee would actually have more “authority” in the church than serving as an usher does. Lots women serve in that capacity…but being an usher is more visible

3. Flo de Haan says:

Why do we often want to follow what people do in other churches, It is sad that our churches are suffering from peer pressure. Slippery slope….yes

• Dorothy Kamphuis says:

Flo, that is a shameful and damaging assumption to make, to assume that women want to serve by ushering because they want to “keep up” with other churches. I am a woman, I love the Lord, I love my neighbors, I love my fellow members, and one way I show this love is by ushering. For no other reason than the absolute joy of welcoming others to a day of WORSHIP! Sure I can do this anyways, but we are sharing the load of the work that needs to be done in a vibrant church.

4. I’m not a member of the Canadian Reformed Church, so in this matter I’m an outsider. I do hold a complementarian view of the Church. I think you’ve done a fine job of pointing out the error in the justification of the head usher’s ruling on female ushers. I quite enjoyed the satire, too.

One thing probably worth mentioning is the concern of authority given to Ushers. In most cases, the usher is merely offering assistance and welcome to those entering the sanctuary. But what about in cases where the congregation is nearing full capacity, and it falls to the ushers to direct congregants to “squeeze in” or “fill in the empty spaces” or to receive the offering? While personally have no problems with a woman serving in these roles, having an answer for “what happens when” an usher is ignored? My personal preference is to have deacons or even Elders serving as ushers for churches that might have to exercise a degree of authority to maximize sanctuary space. If space is a non-issue, then there should be little need for such authority in that service role. Just something to maybe think about.

5. Flo de Haan says:

Sorry Dorothy,I did not think before I wrote!! It is so wonderful you wanting to show your love by greeting people….however you do not need to be an usher to accomplish that. One could be on a list for: serving coffee, nursery, librarian, join study groups, choir or be a greeter.

Being ushers is a great way for young men to get out of their comfort zone and get to know the congregation before becoming elders and deacons.

• Dorothy Kamphuis says:

Hi Flo!
      Thank you. For ALL those jobs you listed, as well as usher, men and women should be recruited (including nursery!). Yes ushering is a great way for young men to step outside their comfort zone, but everyone is called to step outside of their zone in some way for the sake of the gospel.
      Also, I think when you start labelling tasks at church as “male” and “female” tasks, you are giving someone the opportunity to reason their way out of serving. As if they don’t have to help because it’s not a “woman’s task”.
      When a church is small as we are (Blessings Christian Church), we need all the hands we get can to serve in each capacity!

6. adopted3 says:

I knew your answer would not disappoint. 🙂